Friday, March 04, 2005

Food for thought...

I want to take a second here to admit influences. As attractive as the idea of being a self-made man is, and as much as I whole-heartedly pursue that concept, I still believe in listening; I believe in influence. And sharing some of the ideas that excite me seems like a good way to open.

Here's some shit I believe,
care of the good Mr. Bernstein:

The test of the integrity of a poem, or any work of art, may be, simply: does it lead, in the end, to freedom, or does it merely expand the arena of confinement? A voice from the outside, truly, is what we need to hear. Even a single word. Even something that is not a word, but suggests such a word.
And a word from the great Harry Crews, quoted in Getting Naked With Harry Crews: Interviews (and this isn't so much something I completely buy as it is something that makes me think):
Nothing good in the world has ever been done by well-rounded people. The good work is done by people with jagged, broken edges, because those edges cut things and leave an imprint, a design.

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com